The 1957 B. & P. W. scrapbook recognizes the Bradley Volunteer Fire Department for its contributions to the community. The narrative is as follows:
“The Bradley Fire Department never relaxes it’s [sic] efforts a moment to promote fire protection for our community.
It meets twice a month for a 2 hour instruction course. Mr. Geo. Bell, the former instructor, resigned in the summer of 1957 to accept the position of District Civil Defense Director….
The Chief, 13 Volunteer Fireman [sic], and the 6 Junior Marshals attended a course in Rescue at Magnolia. A local inspection to reduce hazards was made, and a class in First Aid was conducted.
The equipment, consisting of 2 pumpers – one with a 450 gal. tank and one with a 600 gal. tank – 425 feet of hose, 2 fog nozzles, 4 five gal. Indian Pack pumps, one 14 foot ladder, 1 fireman’s axe and 4 electric lanterns, are housed in a tile building. This building also has a kitchen, dining area and office space for the Mayor. The chief and firemen, their time and services gratis and other expenses, incidental for operation, are underwritten, mainly, by public donations.
The Fire Department and the Town recently purchased a Mobile Unit for emergency use.
Four fire hydrants were installed in the business district in June, 1957. These hydrants were financed by contributions by the business firms.”
– – – – –
Below are two pictures taken from the scrapbook, the first of the Fire House and the second of one of the World War II-era fire trucks.
Below is an image of an Bradley Fire Department record of attendance at drills for the first few months of 1955.
The names of the members/attendees are as follows: Carl W. Baker, Rogers Baker, J. W. “Buck” Camp, A. C. Cobb, John R. Coker, F. M. Cochran, Jr., H. G. Collier, T. E. Cason, J. M. Drake, Johnnie Kennedy, L. G. Middlebrooks, Alvin Owens, T. R. Stampley, J. H. Starling, J. B. Works, and George W. Bell.