Category Archives: Photos–current

Dedication of Travis S. Gore Park, 3-8-10

This past Monday afternoon, March 8, 2010, approximately a hundred people gathered at the Bradley High School building for a brief ceremony dedicating the school baseball and softball fields as “Travis S. Gore Park.”

For readers who have not been to Bradley in the last few years, the baseball field remains where it has been located since at least 1950.  The softball field is located in the north portion of what was once the football field, with home plate near what would have been the northeast corner of the north end zone of the football field.

Current Bradley Schools Superintendent Gammye Moore, in the purple jacket, below, began the ceremony by announcing its purpose and identifying the honoree, who, notwithstanding the presence of many members of his family, demurred that he was under the impression that he was coming to a ceremony honoring Bradley’s current basketball coach, Bennie Harris.

DSC_5379

Those making brief remarks included former Bradley School Board President Andrew Whisenhunt, current basketball coach Bennie Harris, former Bradley Elementary School Principal John K. “Buddy” Black, former (early 1950’s)basketball coach Joe Langdon, Mollye McCalman, and former faculty member Richard Johnson.

Coach Bennie Harris, below, with Travis, told a humorous story of how he once was working as a law enforcement officer and realized that there was a vehicle behind him, following his every move.  Thinking this rather unusual, he stopped his patrol unit and the vehicle behind him also stopped.  It turned out to be Travis Gore, wanting to hire him as Bradley’s basketball coach.

DSC_5396

Travis was presented with a plaque, which he is holding in the photo below.

DSC_5467 A

Below, left to right, are Coach Bennie Harris, John K. “Buddy” Black, and Travis Gore.

DSC_5402

Below, left to right, are Coach Joe Langdon, Travis Gore, and Andrew Whisenhunt.  Coach Langdon was Travis’ coach when Travis was in Bradley High School.

DSC_5477

Before refreshments were served, the ceremony adjourned to the newly-erected gate on the road going into the baseball and softball fields from Highway 160.  Travis and many members of his family gathered for a picture below the gate.

DSC_5438 A

For the curious, “S.” is for Sherman.

Class of 1959 Reunion, May 16, 2009

Last year, the Bradley High School class of 1959 assembled for its 50th reunion.  Thanks to LaVerne Keahey for the following article and photo.

– – – – –

“The Bradley Bears Class of ‘59 returned to their High School den recently for their Fiftieth Reunion.  Eighteen of their class of twenty-seven and one faculty member were reunited at the Bradley Baptist Church Family Life Center on May 16, 2009, for an afternoon of activities and a Fish Fry prepared on site.  A slide show from pictures submitted by classmates covering the last fifty years helped share stories of families, careers, homes, pets and hobbies.  Four members were memorialized.  Several gag awards added fun to the event, which was highlighted by the female classmates naming “The Best Looking Old Man.”  The warm greeting and hugs paid tribute to Bradley High and to the closeness they had treasured as a class.

The room was decorated in a purple and gold reunion theme with sand buckets holding a branch with classmates’ names on Bear cutouts on each table.  The snack table held a Teddy Bear fishing in a goldfish  bowl.  An eight-by-ten picture of each classmate was presented with their picture, classmate names on a bookmark, a magnet showing all the buildings in which they had been schooled, and a directory of classmates from Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Mississippi as mementos.

Img001 A

Seated, L-R:  Cheroyl Owens Taylor, Ann Copeland Dickson, Wanda Spruell Hays, Nellie Givens Nichols, Carolyn Kilgore Lamar, and Kathleen Spruell Malone.

Standing, L-R:  Bette Barnett Davis, Ralph Hamner, Martha Williams Mueller, Cecil Smith, Linda Fay Burns Givens, B. J. Powell, Charles Ambrose, Patsy Powell Burkett, Dianne Barker Rogers, Derial Whitehead, David Umphries, and LaVerne Burks Keahey.”

– – – – –

The four deceased members of the class are Bobby Collier, Charles Hamm, Rayford Lee and John Wynne.

The other members of the class who did not attend the reunion are Glenda Colvin Null, Gloria Pickett McCoy, Mary Wilson, Jimmy Redmon and Lawrence Shaver.

Bradley High School Class of 1962 Reunion

On June 27, 2009, the Bradley High School Class of 1962 held a reunion on the 47th [!] anniversary of its graduation.  A total of 42 class members and friends attended the reunion and enjoyed catching up with each other.

James Drake, a member of that class, has provided bradleyark.com with two photos of those in attendance.

Ladies first:

Womens group 1962 reunion 6-27-09

Standing, left to right:  Judy Cheney Bogart, Bette Whetstone Lynn, Lola Lane Starling, Faye Tucker Durabb, Sherry Jackson Hendrix, Gloria Stephens, Sharon Drake, Judy Coker and Sue Cook.  Seated, left to right:  Rachel McKinney, Carolyn Burks, Diane Fletcher, Mary Cross, Phyllis Barrington.

And the gentlemen in attendance:

Mens group 1962 reunion 6-27-09

Standing, left to right:  Clyde Stephens, James Drake, Bob Coker, Dickie Bishop, Robert Lane, Samuel Marvin Cross and Willie Harrist.  Seated, left to right:  James Bland, Floyd Goode, Tom Burks, Henry Fletcher, Gerald Lynn and Marvin Barrington.

Thanks, James, for the photos.

Bradley High School Class of 1969 40th Anniversary Reunion

This past Saturday, June 20, 2009, the Bradley High School Class of 1969 came together for a class reunion on the 40th anniversary of their graduation.   Below is a photo of those present, with the exception of one person who arrived after the photo was taken.

DSC09430 R

From left to right:  Johnny Craig, Danny Maness, Ricky Powell, Dennis McEachern, Jan Allen Segrest, Curtis Thompson, Betty Carol Endsley Stanley, Penny Dreher Lyons, Delores Maness Grimes, Linda Goodwin Elledge, Barbara Price McGuffie, Carroll Collier (partially obscured), Jean Starling Burnett, John Bishop, Billy Bynum, Vicky Powell Paige, Bobby Works, Buddy Stevenson, Earl Vickers, Susie Cochran Hargis, Jimmy Ray Dickerson, Peggy Wilson Cook, and Ronnie Hill.  Mary Adams Garner is not shown.

Faces in the above photo are obviously difficult to discern, so here are some zoomed-in photos of the participants.

DSC09433 R

Above are, from left to right:  Johnny Craig, Danny Maness, Ricky Powell, Dennis McEachern, Jan Allen Segrest and Curtis Thompson.

DSC09437 R

Above are, from left to right:  Curtis Thompson, Betty Carol Endsley Stanley, Penny Dreher Lyons, Linda Goodwin Elledge, Delores Maness Grimes, Jean Starling Burnett, John Bishop, Billy Bynum, Vicky Powell Paige, Bobby Works and Buddy Stevenson.

DSC09441 R

Above are, from left to right:  Carroll Collier, Billy Bynum, Vicky Powell Paige, Bobby Works, Buddy Stevenson, Earl Vickers, Susie Cochran Hargis, Jimmy Ray Dickerson, Peggy Wilson Cook, and Ronnie Hill.

In the above photo of the middle group, one person is obscured, so here’s another photo.

DSC09442 R

That’s Barbara Price McGuffie behind Linda Goodwin Elledge and Jean Starling Burnett.  Carroll Collier, Billy Bynum and John Bishop are obviously preoccupied with something besides the camera.

Three faculty members from the 1960’s also attended the reunion.

DSC09419 R 

From left to right:  Coach Leo Johnson, Janiece Rogers Blount, and Jimmy Gray.

Class members who were unable to attend were Bobby Adams, Larry Adams, Tommy Harvey, Glenda Knott Givens, Rebecca Knott Fricks, Don McDonald and Bobby Earl Steed.

The Class of 1969 also paid tribute to the five deceased members of their class with a memory board of photographs.  Those class members are Fred G.  Berry, Jr. (1949–1992), Billy D. “Butch” Bland, Jr. (1951–2002), Fred H. Dreher III (1951–2008), Gary Dale Pickett (1951–1991) and Rose Hinds Thompson (1950–1996).

– – – – –

It’s probably trite to say that a good time was had by all, but the class members seemed to me to genuinely enjoy each other’s company.

On a personal note, I very much enjoyed visiting with Coach Leo Johnson, who is a veritable walking encyclopedia of happenings in the Bradley schools from the mid-1950’s to the late 1960’s.  Two bits of trivia from our conversation:

Coach Johnson’s paddle/strap was well known throughout the student body, both by students who had felt its sting and those who did not.  Coach Johnson told me that any “paddle-able” offense, no matter how heinous, always drew a set number of “licks” (8). 

Some of us remember watching Coach Johnson during games and thinking he was quite intense.  In 17 years of coaching basketball (not all at Bradley), how many technical fouls did he get called for? (Answer: 3).

– – – – –

Summer is class reunion time and if any other classes which are reuniting will furnish a photo(s), or a short article on their affair, I’ll be glad to post them.

Bradley Warehouse, Inc., 1948-1978

The 1957 B. & P. W. scrapbook contains a brief history of the Bradley Warehouse, Inc., which is reprinted here:

“In 1918, M. M. Hamner, Sr., J. B. Edwards and L. B. Hamner formed a partnership to operate a cotton warehouse.  Using their own capital, they erected three sheet-iron buildings, 75’ x 140’.  Later they sold some stock to Charley Smith and W. T. Murphy, Jr.  The warehouse was in operation until the outbreak of World War No. 2 and, because of conditions peculiar to those times, such as labor shortage, etc., it was decided to close down the business.

In December, 1948, M. M. Hamner, J. B. Edwards, L. B. Hamner, W. T. Murphy, Jr., and F. M. Cochran, who bought the interest of Charles Smith, held a meeting and decided to reactivate the warehouses, form a Corporation under the laws of the State of Arkansas known as Bradley Warehouse, Inc., and Government Bond it.  With an additional investment of $25,000.00, all local capital, the three existing warehouses were completely repaired, inside and out.  A 128’ well was put down, a 25,000 gallon water tank was erected and all buildings were equipped with sprinkler systems.  The Government approved the warehouse for the storage of 5,000 bales of cotton.

In 1953, it became quite evident that the three houses could not take care of the cotton to be stored, and in the fall of that year, an 80’ x 140’ galvanized Butler building was erected at a cost of $25,000.  This, too, was equipped with a sprinkler system.  The Government increased the approval to 7,000 bales.

These four buildings, however, soon proved inadequate to take care of the cotton crop and early in 1956, a sheet-iron extension of 200’ was added to warehouse No. 2, at a cost of around $35,000.00.  Another 60,000 gallon tank was erected and 4 outside hydrants were placed.  A sprinkler system was also installed in this building, and approval was increased to 9,000 bales of cotton.”

– – – – –

Such was the state of Bradley Warehouse, Inc., in 1957.  In 1978, Bradley Warehouse, Inc., sold its physical plant to Farmers-Merchants Warehouse & Storage Co., Inc., a Louisiana corporation with principal offices in Plain Dealing, and the corporation itself was liquidated shortly thereafter.  According to the Lafayette County Tax Assessor’s records, the real property is now owned by Southern Arkansas Warehouse & Gin, L. L. C., an Arkansas limited liability company.

– – – – –

Shown below is a photo from the 1957 B. & P. W. scrapbook, showing the physical plant.  Immediately below it is a photo taken from approximately the same place and angle on October 14, 2008.

DSC01695 A

DSC02645 A

The most obvious difference in the two photos is, of course, the disappearance of one of the 1957 water tanks. Also, in the 1957 photo, the street has not yet been paved.

Shown below are three photos from the 1957 B. & P. W. scrapbook of some of the activities and employees of the Warehouse at that time.

DSC01688 A

DSC01691 A

If any reader should recognize any of these men, I would very much appreciate an e-mail or comment to that effect, and would gladly add their names to this post.

Four Bradley scenes, 1957

Here are four photos taken from the 1957 B. & P. W. scrapbook, each showing a different view of Bradley.  Following each 1957 photo is a photo taken from approximately the same place and angle on September 23, 2008.

The first is a photo taken at the intersection of Highway 160, Woodruff St., and Crabtree Lane.  It shows Baker Bros. Garage (the “Esso” sign on the left) and Hamner Implement Co.  In the current photo, the Bradley Medical Clinic, with the apartment buildings in the rear of the photo, is now located where Hamner Implement Co. appears in the 1957 photo.

DSC02162 A

DSC02301

The second photo was taken on the Bradley school campus.  It shows what was then the gymnasium in the back of the left side of the photo, and the old high school building on the right side of the photo.  The “new” high school building is described and pictured prominently in the B. & P. W. scrapbook, so this would have been about the time the “new” high school building was constructed. It is possible that, when this photo was taken, the old high school building had been abandoned and was awaiting demolition.  When this 1957 photo is enlarged, 14 (!) buses can be counted.

DSC02219 A

DSC02305

The third photo is taken from the westbound lane of Fourth St./Highway 160 approximately in front of where the Post Office would have been located at that time.  The sign hanging from the awning on the right side of the photo, just above the automobile, says “Kennedy Grocery.”  The discoloration in the top portion of the photo is from the age of the photo, and not from a threatening sky.

DSC02290 A

DSC02309

The fourth photo is taken from what is now the interior of the Community State Bank, looking more or less east at the west wall of the Edwards Co. building and Fourth St./Highway 160.  Prior to the construction of the second Bank of Bradley building on this location, the Arkansas Highway Department used it as a storage facility for highway resurfacing materials and equipment.

DSC02273 A

DSC02314

 

 

Dedication of Methodist Church Sanctuary, 1949

One of the most beautiful buildings in Bradley is the Bradley United Methodist Church sanctuary:

 IMG_0091 B

This building was dedicated in 1949.  The following article appeared in the Lafayette County Democrat of Friday, May 13, 1949, and is reprinted here by permission.

“METHODIST CHURCH AT BRADLEY TO BE DEDICATED MAY 15TH

Sunday, May 15th, at 11:00 a.m., Bishop Paul B. Martin will dedicate Bradley’s new Methodist Church building.  He will be assisted in the service by Rev. J. M. Hamilton, District Superintendent, and several former pastors.  Rev. Edwin Keith will preside.

Mrs. J. M. Allen and Miss Hortense Hamiter will have charge of the music.  Dinner will be served on the lawn.

Mrs. J. W. Camp and Mabel McGill were appointed to select the committees for the occasion and have chosen the following:

Invitation—J. M. Allen, Mrs. J. W. Camp.

Worship—Miss Hortense Hamiter, Mrs. J. M. Allen, Mrs. J. W. Camp.

Reception—Mrs. W. A. McGee, Mrs. L. B. Hamiter, Mrs. Mabel McGill, J. B. Edwards.

Decoration—Mrs. Mabel McGill, Mrs. Ed O’Neal, Mrs. T. H. Dismukes.

Dinner—Mrs. George Davis, Mrs. L. G. Middlebrooks, Mrs. L. B. Hamner, Mrs. J. W. Meek, Jr.

Publicity—Mrs. Aletha Allen.

The church building was started in 1946, under the leadership of our pastor, Rev. M. E. Scott, and was completed in the summer of 1947.  The first service was held in it August 9, 1947, with Rev. M. E. Scott preaching and Rev. J. A. Simpson, pastor at that time, presiding.

The building is a brick veneer which cost approximately twenty thousand dollars.  It has a seating capacity of approximately one hundred and twenty-five, pastor’s study, seven Sunday school rooms and two rest rooms.

The building committee was comprised of the following members:  J. B. Edwards, J. W. Meek, L. E. Taylor, Lee Crabtree and J. M. Allen.

This summer marks the forty-sixth anniversary of the organization of the Methodist church here.

Plans for this church began to be formulated in the summer of 1902 by the late D. D. Hamiter.  The first step was to get a building site.  On September eleventh, 1902, an acre of ground was deeded to D. D. Hamiter, J. H. Hamiter, and T. J. Evans, trustees of the Walnut Hill Circuit of the Little Rock Conference, by the Red River Land Company for that purpose.  On December 3, 1904 an adjoining strip of land was deeded to them by T. J. Evans.

For some reason the organization of the church was not consummated until the summer of 1903, when the late Dr. J. L. Cannon graduated from Southern Methodist University and was sent here as a substitute for Rev. George N. Campbell.

The charter members of the church were Mrs. Lula Brock, Mrs. Lena Adams, Mrs. Lucy Ham, Mrs. Henry Hanson, Mrs. Dora Garner, Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Price, D. D. Hamiter.  All have passed on except Mrs. Dora Garner, Mrs. Lula Brock and Mrs. Henry Hanson.

Under the direction of Dr. J. I. Cannon a frame building was started but was not ready for occupancy until the latter part of 1904.  In the meantime, preaching services were held one Sunday afternoon of each month in the Lodge Hall above what was known as Brock & Smith store and post office on Pilot Avenue.

During the left of the church the following ministers have served as pastors, J. L. Cannon, C. W. Musgrove, R. J. Roland, J. J. Mellard, R. J. Raiford, W. C. Hilliard, H. W. Hansford, M. K. Rogers, A. P. Flowers, Roy E. Fawcett, J. A. Save, G. W. Cannon, C. E. Whitten, R. R. Moore, A. W. Hamilton, M. E. Scott, J. A. Simpson, [and] Edwin Keith.  D. D. Hamiter served continuously on the board of Stewards from the Church’s organization until his death in 1931.

Under the leadership of Rev. Edwin Keith, last year, the old frame church building was converted into a lovely six room and bath parsonage.

During World War II, the church kept a list of all its members entering the services.  This list contains 34 names.  All the boys returned except one.

Sunday School has been held regularly since March, 1912.  Jack Meek is the present Superintendent.  The Sunday School assumed the responsibility of furnishing most of the parsonage when it was completed last year.

The W. S. C. S. was organized in 1920 and has met regularly since that time.  Mrs. J. B. Edwards was the first president.  The present incumbent is Mrs. F. P. Adams.  They have chosen as their special project the beautifying of the grounds of the church and parsonage.

The Methodist Youth Fellowship was organized in 1946.  Mrs. J. M. Allen is Superintendent of Youths’ Work.”

– – –

Below is an image of the cornerstone of the Bradley United Methodist Church:

IMG_0095 B 

“BRADLEY METHODIST

CHURCH

ERECTED 1946

BUILDING COMM.

J. B. EDWARDS

J. W. MEEK

J. M. ALLEN

L. E. TAYLOR

LEE CRABTREE

PAUL E. MARTIN, BISHOP

A. J. CHRISTIE, DIST. SUPT.

M. E. SCOTT, PASTOR

LLOYD HELMS, CONT.”